One of the most important aspects of successful work in any sphere is proper management of one’s time. It is impossible to say that in some professions time management does not play an important role. However, it would be appropriate to say that in some spheres, it is more significant than in others. Healthcare facilities are an example of organizations in which proper timing may be a rather crucial aspect of work. Doctors and nurses should respond to patients’ needs promptly in order to save their lives and help them recover as soon as possible. Other hospital departments also need to pay attention to successful time management. In Al-Rahba hospital, laboratory employees need to perform their duties timely to provide health providers and patients with the most accurate information.
Fitness to Practice
Fitness to practice is a crucial element of laboratory workers. This feature requires having excellent knowledge and skills as well as the ability to perform these skills at the highest level. Customers should receive full benefits from using healthcare services (1). With this aim, Al-Rahba hospital has requirements for the employees who work or intend to work in laboratories. In accordance with qualification requirements to healthcare professionals, laboratory workers are expected to have the following skills (2):
- a phlebotomist should have a certificate in the field of health science and complete a program in medical laboratory sciences;
- medical laboratory technicians should have a certificate or a diploma in laboratory technician skills;
- medical laboratory technologists need to obtain a bachelor of science degree in medical laboratory science or medical laboratory technology;
- clinical scientists should have a bachelor’s degree similar to the one required for technologists, and additionally, they should have a master’s degree in a relevant specialty.
Apart from the degree and experience demands, all laboratory workers should possess such features as punctuality, loyalty, skillfulness, and the ability to react promptly.
Taking Responsibility for Fitness to Practice
Being an assistant employee in a laboratory, I do not have much experience or degrees in laboratory science yet. However, I have to take responsibility for fitness to practice as any other experienced employee. I always start work on time and do not leave before my shift ends. I keep patients’ records in order and take care of their confidentiality. When a colleague needs my help, I provide assistance. In general, I do my best not to cause any harm to patients or co-workers and bring benefit for anyone with whom I cooperate in the laboratory. I think that performing one’s job at the best level is a responsibility of any person, especially of those working in a healthcare environment.
The Importance of Time Management
Managing one’s time is crucial for reaching the best outcomes in professional life as well as in personal matters. Effective time management of healthcare workers is rather essential since many people’s well-being depends on these employees (3). When a person’s working space is neat, and the work is well-structured, it is easier to gain the best outcomes for oneself and the customers. The following time management tips help to arrange work in the most efficient way:
- it is necessary to take care of one’s physical and psychological shape;
- employees should learn to prioritize and spend less time on insufficient things;
- it is a good idea to set realistic goals and reach them within the set time frame;
- creating lists of tasks helps to use time wisely;
- it is necessary to know what is beyond one’s possibilities and not attempt to exceed that limit.
Examples of Applying Time Management Skills while on Placement
Typical time management problems include the desire to work too little or too much (4). Both of these situations may lead to negative outcomes, and it is crucial to avoid them at all costs. However, in order to realize this, I had to deal with similar situations. Once, I decided to stay after work to do some additional tests. The work was rather interesting, and I did not realize when it got nearly 10 p.m. I got home after midnight, and all next day I felt too exhausted to work productively. That was when I learned my first time management lesson. Excessive work may seem beneficial on the day you do it, but the outcomes of fatigue will cause difficulties on the next day.
The second example of applying time management skills is prioritizing the tasks. Once, I had several important analyses to do, and I put off the most urgent test until the end of the working day. It was then that I realized that it required more time than I had expected. On that day, I learned that it is necessary to do the most urgent tasks first. This lesson has helped me frequently in planning my work.
Fitness to practice and time management are crucial elements of laboratory employees’ work. People working in the healthcare environment should realize the seriousness of the outcomes of their mistakes. Therefore, Al-Rahba hospital has high requirements for its employees and pays much attention to evaluating their time management skills and professional qualities.
- Chamberlain JM. Medical regulation, fitness to practice and revalidation: a critical introduction. Bristol: Policy Press; 2015.
- Healthcare professionals qualification requirements 2014. Abu Dhabi: HAAD, 2014. Web.
- Wapola J, Kerr K. Strategic, financial, and organizational management. In: Skurka, MA, editor. Health information management: principles and organization for health information services. 6th ed. San Francisco: Josey-Bass; 2017. p. 253-282.
- Schmitt GL, Lazarin GA. Genetic counselor role in sales and marketing. In: Goodenberger ML, Thomas BC, Kruisselbrink T, editors. Practical genetic counseling for the laboratory. New York: Oxford University Press; 2017. p. 265-282.